2012-02-18

A Fishy Confession.


Speaking of diets and "what you eat", it occurred to me that my blog readers may not know that I am technically no longer a vegan. Even though I still love veganism and adhere to many of the diet's values, since Summer 2011, I've been eating eggs and fish each about 2-3 times a week. The reasons for my transition from veganism to eating animal products are complex, and thus I won't get into them all here. However, I will defend the vegan diet by saying that I didn't start eating them because I was deficient or was lacking. I was very careful regarding with my nutritional intake. Nonetheless, as I've long said, I would never recommend a vegan diet to a stranger, friend, or patient, unless they were ready for the challenge. It is a tricky diet that needs to be followed carefully. With that said, it is a great diet and can be very helpful for treating many health concerns. I still love veganism and the diet, and while I am sad to no longer call myself a vegan, I still feel vegan at heart. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my eggs and fish and will probably be eating this way for a while yet.

I do not intend to reintroduce dairy (I don't think humans should be eating dairy; it is the least natural food in our diet and causes a ton of health concerns). As for chicken, pork, and beef: no immediate intentions there either. As for my fish and egg choices, I am devoted to eating as ethically and sustainably as possible. I only buy organic, free-run, and free-range eggs, organic fish (still problems with this, more later) or small fish (which don't impact depleting fish populations as much, more on this later!), and I don't eat animal products in restaurants when I don't know how the products were sourced.

May I present to you today my first fish recipe on the blog. I think it is quite delicious and Tony likes to eat this sauce as a salad dressing too. It is quite versatile; I bet it would be amazing to coat potatoes (sweet or regular white) before roasting.


Maple-Soy Salmon Sauce

4 teaspoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon olive oil

Drizzle the sauce over baked salmon (makes enough for 2 pieces). Alternatively, double all ingredients and let salmon filets marinate in the sauce for at least one hour before baking (then bake at 400* for 30 minutes, flipping once, about halfway through). Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!